Boy, the past couple weeks have been a whirlwind for me. I’ve been haring off to another town for piano lessons, but in between lessons I’ve been hanging out with some of my school friends. First Vicky and Emily came to my house for a few days, and then I drove up to Emily’s for a super epic bluegrass festival. So you could say I’ve been a bit preoccupied–hence the silence on here.
But now I’m home and I’ve recovered from my long drive, and I come bearing some extremely exciting news! Oh, and a recipe for lime sugar cookies.
Candy over at lovely buns has nominated me for a blog-on-fire award!
I am so excited to have been nominated, and extremely honored as well. However, there are some rules to accepting this award, and they are as follows: I have to tell you guys 8 things about myself and nominate 8 of my favorite blogs for the award. So, here goes!
- I recently acquired an orchid, which I hope I won’t kill.
- It poured at the bluegrass festival and I stuck around anyways. In the rain. Without an umbrella.
- Cats are my favorite.
- I read nonfiction books for fun.
- I’m really disappointed because my Avengers coffee mug is apparently not dishwasher safe–half of Captain America’s arm has gone missing, which is such a shame.
- I just really really love superhero movies.
- Peaches are my favorite fruit, but only when they’re in season.
- I also have a somewhat sad love of Arthurian legend.
And now for my 8 favorite blogs…
- Acorn in the kitchen
- Made by Mike
- Baker on the Rise
- The Daily Etude
- Sunshine and Sparrow
- Emily Cooks Vegan
- Charming Trinity
Once again, I am so happy to have been nominated. Thanks, Candy!
Now. On to the cookies!
I made these after my parents came home from a Summer Solstice party raving about some lime sugar cookies that had been served. Lime-flavored cookies. Weird. But intriguing, so I promptly began googling like a fiend.
And I found this recipe. The cookies turned out crisp and slightly chewy–and a lot puffier than I expected. I want to find a way to make them more chewy than crispy, but these cookies are great! However, I was still really confused by the fact that my cookies tasted like lime. I don’t know why.
Lime sugar cookies
3/4 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar, divided
zest of 2 limes
1/2 cup sour cream
2 large egg yolks, room temperature
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 1/2 cups flour
- Beat together butter, 1 1/2 cups sugar, and zest until creamed. Add sour cream, beating until blended. Stir in the egg yolks and lime juice.
- Slowly add flour, salt, and baking powder. Beat until blended.
- Chill dough for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350. Cover two baking sheets with parchment paper. Put the remaining sugar in a little bowl. Form dough into small balls and roll in the sugar. Use a fork to press the cookies down, creating hatch marks on the tops.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the the edges begin to brown.
This is a great summer cookie, and I’m so glad I tried it!